Tuesday 16 June 2015

The Rocky Horror Show Review

Hey Friends! 
 

On the Sunday just passed (the 14th of June) I went to see the Rocky Horror Show live in Melbourne and I loved it so much that I thought I would to a review for you all!


 
I bought the tickets about 2 months in advance from Ticketmaster and they were $70. Comparatively, the tickets were cheap as they were some of the last ones available for the preview shows. Our seats weren't great, they were around the middle of the dress circle, however, the Comedy Theatre is tiered in a way that ensures everyone has a clear view of the stage so that aspect of it was a-okay.  
 
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my all-time favourite musical films so you can only imagine my excitement leading up to the performance and I was in no way disappointed. I had the biggest grin on my face throughout the entire duration of the show, when I wasn't singing (quietly) along, of course. 
 
I was blown away by the talent of all of the performers, particularly Craig McLachlan who played Frank n Furter. He perfectly portrayed his character in such a way that left the entire theatre in a fit of giggles with almost every word that left his mouth. I have honestly never laughed so hard in all my life than what I did watching Craig prance around on stage in a corset and tights. 


Source: http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/04/29/1226899/472110-b1126d26-ce81-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg
 
All of the song numbers were incredible with some top-notch quality dancing to accompany it. All of the performers had incredible voices, I particularly enjoyed Kristian Lavercombe as Riff-Raff and Stephan Mahy as Brad. The musical highlights, for me, were definitely the Time-Warp (duh), Damn It Janet and Sweet Transvestite.
 
Bert Newton was an absolute champ, the moment I found out he was going to be playing the part of the narrator I was stoked. To be honest, he could have been better but it's Bert Newton and everyone loves a bit of Bert so all was forgiven. Also the fact that, in the finale song, one of the other performers (I can't remember who, sorry) pulled down Bert's pants to reveal a pair of boxers and tights with suspenders matching to the rest of the performers on stage. This was probably one of the greatest moments in my life I'm not even going to lie. 


Source: http://www.stagewhispers.com.au/sites/default/files/imagecache/lightbox/gallery/DSC_0273.JPG

Can we all please take a moment to appreciate the above photo? Such a legend.
  The show went for a duration of 2 hours including a 20 minute interval and it was so brilliant that I never wanted it to end. However, the 1 hour and 40 minutes of performance was a perfect stretch of time and I feel that any longer would have been a slight overkill. 
 
Overall, I think it's clear that I thoroughly enjoyed the performance! The Rocky Horror Show is definitely a stage show that's littered with dirty innuendos so I wouldn't recommend it for young children or anyone who does not enjoy crude humour. 

I give the Rocky Horror Show a solid 9.5/10 and it is definitely my favourite musical that I have seen so far, not that I have seen that many but still, it was bloody brilliant.

If you live in Australia and would like to see the Rocky Horror Show for yourself, just head on over to http://rockyhorror.com.au/. Groovy as.

This is me, signin' off.

Actually by Ashlee xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment